History of Arkansas Catholic in Timeline

Share: FB Share X Share Reddit Share Reddit Share
Arkansas Catholic

Arkansas Catholic is the weekly newspaper of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Little Rock. Established in 1911 as The Southern Guardian, it adopted its current name in 1986. The newspaper serves as the official publication for the diocese, delivering religious news and information to its readership. It currently maintains a circulation of 7,000.

1907: Bishop Morris arrives in Little Rock, Arkansas

In 1907, Bishop John Baptist Morris arrived in the Diocese of Little Rock from Tennessee with the goal of establishing a diocesan newspaper for the 22,000 Catholics in Arkansas.

March 1911: First issue of The Southern Guardian published

On March 25, 1911, the first issue of The Southern Guardian was published with Monsignor J. M. Lucey as the newspaper's first editor.

1911: Founded as The Southern Guardian

In 1911, Arkansas Catholic was founded as The Southern Guardian. It serves as the official publication for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Little Rock.

1912: Newspaper offices relocated

In 1912, the offices of The Southern Guardian moved to Fourth and Center streets in Little Rock.

1915: "Southern" dropped from newspaper's name

In 1915, the word "Southern" was dropped from The Southern Guardian's name; the newspaper became known as The Guardian.

1919: Father McDermott starts 'Question Box' column

By 1919, Father McDermott started the weekly column 'Question Box' where religious questions were answered by multiple diocesan and religious priests.

1919: Newspaper offices relocated and "Southern" dropped from the newspapers name

In 1919, The Guardian's offices moved to West Second Street in Little Rock. Also, the word "Southern" was dropped from the newspapers name, now called simply The Guardian.

1920: Expanded coverage of Vatican events

Beginning in 1920, Father Stocker expanded The Guardian's coverage of Vatican events through Foreign News Service.

1922: Father Stocker's death

In 1922, Father Augustine Stocker died in the doctor's office and was replaced by Father George H. McDermott as editor of The Guardian.

1929: Subscription cost for The Guardian

In 1929, a subscription to The Guardian cost US$2.

1933: Father McDermott retires

In 1933, Father McDermott retired and was replaced by two part-time editors: Monsignor J. P. Fisher and Father Harold Heagney.

1935: Father Heagney leaves role as editor

In 1935, Father Harold Heagney left the role as editor for The Guardian.

1935: Monsignor Prendergast becomes full-time editor

In 1935, Monsignor Thomas J. Prendergast became The Guardian's first full-time editor, stabilizing the newspaper's situation, establishing its first board of directors and purchasing its own printing shop.

1967: Newspaper offices remain at West Second Street

The newspaper offices would remain at West Second Street until 1967.

1986: Renamed Arkansas Catholic

In 1986, The Southern Guardian was renamed Arkansas Catholic, continuing its role as the official publication of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Little Rock.